Summer is here and the sun is shining. I know we’d all like to shine as bright as the sun. I’m not just talking about looking amazing on the outside. The real shine comes from within and without, when you take care of yourself mind, body and soul. We have to remember that these are all integral parts of what makes us who we are. If we neglect one of them, we can’t be who we’re meant to be as a whole person. We can’t truly shine and reach our potential. Awhile back, someone I highly respect reminded me that if we don’t reach our potential, we’re wasting our gifts. We’re actually being kind of selfish. Our gifts or talents don’t just affect us, they also have the power to affect countless other people on our life’s path. So, it’s not just important to get our shine on for ourselves, it’s imperative for the world.
Yes! We really ARE influential in helping to shape other people’s days. When I think about it this way, it makes me want to work even harder to be my best and to share my gifts with all of you. Here are some ideas for getting your summer shine on:
- Take care of your skin. Your skin is one of the ways that people can see your shine. If your skin is dull and lifeless, your inner shine will be harder to see. Also, our skin is needed to keep out toxins that might make us sick. It is necessary to process sunlight for Vitamin D and other health giving nutrients. We have to care for it so that we stay healthy and glowing. It’s important to use products that are as natural as we want to be and make us feel great about our skin. I’ve been using an amazing Luxurious Skin Care and Nutrition line called YouLab for about 6 months. I love it so much I became a rep. You can check it out here. There are other great skincare lines, as well. Do your homework, try products, and find what works best for you. Then use it daily! Give your skin the time and love it deserves. Afterall, it takes care of you 24/7.
- Read a good book. It can be so empowering to find a book that inspires you. All of my friends know how much I love “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert. When you read a book that seems to speak to you personally, it helps you get in tune with your soul. It makes you want to follow your dreams. It gives you courage to get through difficult times. Check out book lists like this one to find that perfect summer read.
- Start a journal. Every day, write your thoughts or reflections in it to help you create more self-awareness and examine your ideas, feelings and personal beliefs. This can be soul-stirring. You have to be brave to get the most out of it, though. Keep your journal in a place where no one else can see it so that you can be brutally honest. You should also end each day’s entry with a positive affirmation for yourself. You become what you think and what you believe. Your thoughts therefore create your entire reality.
Here are some affirmations I use:
I wear my confidence as well as I wear my makeup.
I choose to treat my body with care, love, kindness and respect.
I love living in this exquisite female body.
- That last affirmation brings me to one of my favorite ways to get my shine on. I love teaching women how to live confidently in their bodies. I do it through my Sense-ual Woman programs and retreats. In fact I will be having my next Sense-ual Woman retreat this month. On July 23rd, from 1-5 pm. Hope you can join us! Check it out here! I also do it by going to other retreats that help me get back in touch with myself and feel great about myself again. It’s important to gather with other people to do this. For me, experiencing a day with other women, learning and sharing about ourselves, brings me joy. Joy is shine!
5. Practice positivity. Being positive is hard sometimes but we have the power to change our moods/feelings by changing our thoughts. Try this challenge: Don’t allow yourself to complain about anything for 24 hours. If something negative comes into your head, counter it with something positive. Value your headspace by not letting bad thoughts squat there. Only let in thoughts that pay you rent. By “paying the rent” I mean productive thoughts that bring you a return of empowerment and joy. Negative thoughts actually steal from us and leave us with a mind, body, and soul deficit. They literally put our headspace budget in the negative.
6. Treat yourself to an outdoor dance or exercise class or move your work outside for an afternoon. Why not come over and try out one of my NewVo fitness classes on Saturday mornings! Talk about getting your energy pumping and moving all day! FUN! Get out of the house or office and do your thing in the sun. Just breathing in the fresh air and hearing the birds chirp can give you an instant natural high. Some people choose a yoga class or tai chi. Others like to run. I like to dance or do my NewVo fitness class in the sun. Sometimes it’s great to just break out of my studio and embrace nature while I work. If you know me, you know that my Tiki Hut gets a lot of use for meetings and my writing.
7. Join a group that will help you succeed in your dreams and goals. There is nothing better than collective shine. Yep, you heard it right. Collective Shine! When we join together with people we share our ideas and motivate each other to reach for the sun. This can be as simple as joining a book club or a business group. Angel and I believe in this so much that we started the Multicultural Business Association. We took this one step further and made a phenomenal Multicultural Women’s Network group! We meet the first Thursday of each month at 6:30 pm to learn valuable business skills from our highly experienced members and guest speakers. We help each other discover ways to shine brighter and we teach each other by sharing our different perspectives in the world. It’s amazing to experience all these rays of light coming together!
These are just some fun ideas for inspiration. How do you get your summer shine on? Please share your thoughts!
Until next time!
Sense your Power, Seize the Day®!