- Classes must be paid in full; partial payments cannot be accepted. Classes must be paid in full every month in advance to get discounted class prices. NO exceptions. For your convenience, Sohaila’s Pre-Paid Practice Punch Cards are available. Practice class fee Pre-paid punch cards can be invested by way of cash, check, credit card or online with pay pal. Punch cards are non-transferable and non-refundable. You have a full year to use your punch cards from the date of purchase.
- Annual Registration Fee: None at this time.
- Checks that have insufficient funds will be charged a $35 dollar fee and check writing privileges will be suspended indefinitely. Cash will be the only method of payment.
- Credit: In order to get credit for a class that you will miss, you must call or email at least 24 hours in advance. If you do not call or email you will not receive a credit. NO exceptions. No cash refunds. Class credit only with advance notice. NO exceptions.
- Please be on time to class. Make an effort to come to every class. Always bring your class workbooks and props to every class. Sohaila’s Dance Workbook is mandatory for ALL dancers. Books can be purchased through Sohaila.
- Entering Studio times: You may enter studio no earlier than 5 minutes before your class starts. This ensures students in class already in progress has complete concentration with no disruptions.
- Choreography class: If you wish to participate in Sohaila’s Shining Stars performance gigs, you need to attend Wed 8pm choreography class EVERY week. If you must miss a week for any reason, you will need to make it up by coming to an additional 7pm class on another day in the same month. Otherwise you will not be eligible to perform with the troupe at outside events.
- I urge you to take notes in class. It is up to you to remember new moves, combinations, choreographs, etc.
- Private Classes: once you have made an appointment with Sohaila for a private class, it is on the calendar, to cancel or reschedule your private you MUST call, or e mail Sohaila at least 8 hours in advance. If you do not call or e mail to reschedule you will need to pay for that private. NO exceptions.
- Refund Policy: If for any reason your schedule changes after you’ve pre-paid for classes, I’ll be glad to provide a refund, however there is a $25 cancellation fee. No refunds will be granted after attending the first class, however I can accommodate for special circumstances by allowing the student to make up remaining classes during the following month after which the student registered.
- Class fees are nontransferable. Annual registration fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable.
- Make-Up Policy: If you have received credit for a missed class, you can make up a class within one month; if you do not make up this class before one month you forfeit that class unless time is extended by special permission. Also, no refund will be given.
- No Soliciting: Soliciting, selling, or distributing flyers during class for other products/services is prohibited.
- Performing at outside events or private parties as a Sohaila Shining Star without prior permission is prohibited.
- Attire Policy: No loose fitting wear or jeans. Appropriate dance pants, T-shirts, camisoles and hip scarves should be worn and may be purchased from the SohailaWear Line. Either jazz, ballet, socks (although they can be a bit slippery) or bare feet is suggested.
- Shoes: When shopping around for your dance shoes (look below for appropriate shoes) you can order thru Discount Dance Supply, I have found them to be the best value. When ordering your shoes either at the store, on the phone or on line, Please give them the name of the Studio: Sohaila’s Academy of Artistic Dance, (formerly Zyba Academy of Artistic Dance) or teacher/studio ID number to give to them:TP28456 www.discountdance.com
- When visiting Discount Dance Supply in La Mesa let the cashier know you are with our studio so that we may receive credit points for your purchases. Remember to give them the number TP28456. Students receive 10% off their first online purchase from DDS using this teacher number. Students receive 5% off all other online purchases from DDS using my teacher number.
- Studio Rental: Sohaila’s Studio is available for rent by the hour. As a Shining Star member you receive a discounted price of $25.00 an hour. Please book times with Sohaila.
- Studio Policy: Street shoes are not permitted inside the dance area of the studio – help us keep the studio floor clean by kindly removing your shoes when you enter the studio and putting on your practice shoes. Put your items in the cubby holes provided.
- Place your personal items in the cubby holes. Do not bring valuable items to the studio. The studio, its management or instructors are not responsible for lost or damaged personal property. No food or drinks allowed on dance floor. You can eat and drink in the foyer/bar area. Drinks such as water is fine, on the dance floor, please have it in a non breakable, spillable cup.
- Courtesy and Etiquette Policy in Class- My studio is my haven and when students are in my space I want them to feel welcomed and ALL feel comfortable. Be on time to your scheduled class(es). Some of my classes are in the ‘all level class’ which means that there is a tendency for seasoned dancers to bring their two senses in at times. While you may be invited to give suggestions and opinions or give some help in class, ultimately the final comments/suggestions rest with me. Some people only want to be instructed by the teacher; some people don’t mind hearing suggestions from other dancers. Wanting to be helpful isn’t always perceived that way, and depending on your manner, may not always come across as you intend. I will not tolerate being disrespected in my own place. Complaining and bad mouthing others in class is not acceptable. Complaining about each other only adds to stress, tension, and friction in a class that should be trying to work together. If you have a serious complaint, bring it to my attention privately, but be sure that it’s an ongoing problem and not just a momentary irritation. I want all dancers to have a safe space and feel happy when they are here.
- I highly encourage you to stick with one teacher. Each teachers style is different and this will hinder your teaching abilities in your in-studio class. I do have on-line classes available that you can take at your convenience anytime if you wish to go to other teachers as well.
- If you are part of Sohaila’s Shining Stars and performing with us, you are not allowed to take classes with another teacher. Each teachers style is different and this will hinder your teaching abilities in your in-studio class.
- All students are highly encouraged to take special workshops that I suggest for them. If you want to take a workshop only outside of SAAD class please do so. As a teacher I have intentions for all my dancers to know and learn about Authentic Middle Eastern Dance at its finest. If you would like my recommendation I would be more than happy to accommodate.
- No gum-chewing, eating or drinking (except water) in the studio, except in foyer/bar area. Please turn off your cell phone. If you arrive late, please enter quietly and take your place at the back of the room so as not to disturb the class in progress.
- Policies are in force at the time of this revision. I appreciate everyone’s cooperation in following these policies.
Expectations of You as a Dancer in any performances as one of Sohaila’s Shining Stars:
- Investment of Time- All dancers are encouraged to learn all choreography’s for future dance events. Rehearsals outside of class are a must and are mandatory as part of your commitment to perform. I will provide rehearsal dates in advance so you have time to arrange your schedule, but in case of an unavoidable conflict I can make allowances with advance notice as long as you’re practicing on your own – and believe me, I can tell who knows the choreography and who doesn’t. Practice sessions will be up on Sohaila’s Shining Stars practice calendar on the website at SohailaInternational.com. Most ALL practice sessions are a paid class.
- Investment of Money- Belly dancing is a wonderful combination of dance and exercise. At a minimum, all it takes is yoga-type clothing, a basic hip scarf, and suitable shoes to take classes and practice at home. But performing in public requires a financial investment in costumes, cover-up, shoes, props, and all the things that go along with “putting on a show.” Depending on the choreography, I may plan for a matched look, where all dancers wear a specific costume or I may plan for a mixed look, where dancers can wear a costume they already own (with my prior approval). Same goes for props such as veils, isis wings, canes, etc.
- Courtesy and Etiquette in Performance- Dancing as a group, in a troupe is usually the first step to gaining the experience and confidence of dancing in public. But it’s important to remember that a troupe is a diverse set of people, as most teams are, and you need to be able to get along with each other. You also need to be able to follow my direction as your troupe leader—instructor, artistic director, and supervisor all in one—and you may not like everything you’re asked to do. If you prefer being your own boss, then you may be better off going solo—a troupe expresses the director’s vision, a soloist expresses their own vision. A troupe performance is not just a fun exercise for the dancers—it is entertainment for the audience and it is ultimately a reflection on your instructor. So be sure to be prepared, act professionally from the time you arrive until you leave the event, and do your best! I will determine program order, dancer lineup, choreography, and entrances/exits. While you may be invited to give suggestions and opinions, ultimately the final decisions rest with me. If I have permitted someone to be in the lineup, then it’s because I think that they have sufficient ability to be there. Be patient with each other; everyone has different levels of ability, different levels of dance experience, and different ways of learning. Complaining about each other only adds to stress, tension, and friction in a group that should be trying to work together. If you have a serious complaint, bring it to my attention privately, but be sure that it’s an ongoing problem and not just a momentary irritation. Help others only if I or they ask for assistance, this applies in class as well as practice sessions. Some people only want to be instructed by the teacher; some people don’t mind hearing suggestions from other dancers. Wanting to be helpful isn’t always perceived that way, and depending on your manner, may not always come across as you intend. Since you may have occasion to share a dressing room with dancers you don’t know, always be courteous, respect their space and do not touch their costumes or items. If they need help for any reason such as with their costume, by all means help them out.
- Choreography’s– If you intend to choreograph a routine, you can get inspiration from a number of places such as live shows, vimeo, youtube, internet, etc. Though its fine to get ‘ideas’ ultimately your choreography has to be your own. If you do intend to use someone else’s choreography you must ask for approval from them and give them credit, plagiarism will not be tolerated and you will have severe consequences.
SUGGESTED DANCE SHOES FOR CLASS AND PERFORMANCE:
With that all said and out of the way…Glad to have you in class!!!