Belly dancing is a beautiful dance form thats been around for centuries. It’s an ancient Egyptian art with direct and relevant health benefits for today’s busy life style. It is a universal art of spirituality and self expression that also builds and sustains a healthy physique.
Sohaila inspires dancers of ALL ages to take this beautiful art form and conform it to each every individuals style with artistic expression and individualized impression.
Belly dancing is also a form of birthing tool to make your childbirth easier. Belly dancing for childbirth has been around for centuries and it continues to be used in parts of the Mid East such as Tunisia and Morocco. Some research shows that belly dancing started as a birthing tool to help mothers to-be have an easier childbirth. When in labor the mom to be has friends belly dancing around her with emphasis on specific belly dance moves which incorporates many slow undulating moves, hip circles and figure eight motions. She then will mimic these various undulating moves.
Benefits of Belly Dance In Pregnancy
Today many childbirth professionals see the benefits of belly dancing and encourages taking classes for pregnancy as well as for labor. These benefits will help with
• Posture and Balance
• Keeps you fit
• Empowers self-confidence
• Strengthening pelvic and deep abdominal muscles for the birthing process and recovery
• Relieving stress with the subtle sounds of the exotic music
• Helps strengthen your uterus muscles
• Encourages the baby to be in a frontal lying (anterior) position for easier labor and birth
• Great for relaxation
• More energy
• Empowers positive body-image
• Improves abdominal control
• Relieves pregnancy back pain
• Empowers positive body awareness
• Strengthens your legs, glutes, and thighs
• Great camaraderie with other Mom’s to be in class!
As you can see Belly dancing is designed perfectly to help women’s bodies. When administering the dance moves during pregnancy or labor it helps the baby move into a good position to be ready for birth. Since the muscles of the uterus will be strengthened from your belly dancing moves, it helps move the baby in a position where it will be easier for the birth. Belly dance moves will enhance this natural action.
First things first, please consult your doctor before starting any physical exercise program.
A few things to consider
We all know what our bodies are capable of so definately listen to your body at all times. Avoid any movement such as back bends, sharp twists, or jumps. Again, listen to your body.
• Keep water on hand at all times in class. You want to stay hydrated, drink plenty of water. • Keep a healthy snack near by just in case you need some fast energy.
• Eat a light healthy snack one hour before class to have some energy.
• Again you know your body, but sometimes we feel that we can do the same exercise program as we did a few months ago, this is not the case, so if you feel dizzy or faint stop and sit down.
What to Wear
Where something that you would wear at the gym, ie. yoga pants, exercise top. You can either wear jazz shoes or go barefoot, it’s your preference. Don’t forget your hip saches. (if you don’t have one you can purchase one from me, I have a large variety to choose from)
HIghlights of Moves that you will learn
- rib cage
- hip figure eights, forward and backward medium and large
- one hip circles and figure eights
- camels, forward and reverse ・ hip circles, small, med, large
Sohaila teaches this class exclusively at The Birth Education Center of San Diego.
Time: 1-2 pm on Saturdays. $25.00 per class
For other classes and upcoming seminars contact Sohaila.
Sohaila can come and give a class at your location. For more information, contact Sohaila